If you love Greater Manchester and want to help make it the first city region in the world to be smokefree, why not join us and become a History Maker? Be part of something amazing!
What is a History Maker?
A History Maker is an advocate for a smokefree Greater Manchester. They support the city region having more smokefree spaces, events and stop smoking campaigns. History Makers come from all walks of life. Anyone can be a History Maker regardless of whether they’ve ever smoked themselves. A History Maker is proud to be part of Greater Manchester and wants to make it even better.
What do I need?
To become a History Maker, you don’t need any special skills or experience; just a passion for helping to improve the lives of the people living and working in Greater Manchester.
How much time do I need to commit?
Signing up as a History Maker allows you to commit as much or as little of your time as you are willing and able.
How can I get involved?
You can get involved in a number of different ways.
- Tell your friends and family about why it’s important to make smoking history, and get them involved too.
- Share the campaign’s messages by distributing leaflets, putting up posters or posting messages to your social media pages.
- Lobby local MPs for their support in making spaces smokefree
- Support local smokefree events or make your own events smokefree
And much more!
Can I meet other History Makers?
Yes! We would really encourage you to get involved with our events and meet other History Makers. Details of the events will be communicated via email. At these events you’ll be able to find out more about what we’re doing to make smoking history and get involved in discussions with other History Makers. Together we can make an even bigger difference to the lives of people who live and work in Greater Manchester.
How can becoming a History Maker help me?
- Joining a community – meeting like-minded people and using your shared passion to improve health and wellbeing
- Helping a cause – being able to say that you played a role in the movement to make smoking history in Greater Manchester
- Gaining new skills – you may find yourself getting involved in ways you haven’t before, e.g. helping at a smokefree event, addressing community groups or writing to your local MP.
Can I talk about my role as History Maker to friends and family who smoke?
Yes, by all means! Tell them about your role and tell them about our aims. Tobacco is a highly addictive substance. Did you know that 6 in 10 smokers want to quit and many will have tried before? When talking to smokers about quitting we always need to show empathy and we must never judge.
Latest campaign resources
Campaigns run throughout the year. Download our latest campaign pack and start sharing the message.